The tide of “secret” plastic surgery is turning as more celebrities are admitting to going under the knife. Perhaps celebrities lifting the plastic surgery veil can make procedures less shameful and secretive, and more accessible and safer for the public.
Chrissy Teigen recently revealed she had her buccal fat pads removed on her Instagram story. The model has always looked gorgeous, but this procedure gave her a more chiseled, contoured look to compliment her already sky-high cheekbones.
Five insider secrets to know about buccal fat pad removal:
- A fast procedure (30 – 60 minutes) that can be done under local anesthesia in our office.
- The incisions are hidden inside the mouth, making this a “scarless” surgery.
- Excellent way to chisel your face, especially for patients with “chipmunk cheeks” or a “babyface.”
- Don’t get your buccal fat pad removed too early! We naturally lose fat in our faces starting in our mid-20s, so getting surgery too early (as a teenager or early 20s) can lead to a gaunt look later in life.
- Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon. Although the risks are very low (bleeding, infection, nerve damage, asymmetry), you don’t want to gamble with your face.
See our page about Buccal Fat Pad surgery for more information about the procedure. Dr. Bitar would be happy to see you in consultation, and discuss the right option for you. Perhaps you’ll make Chrissy Teigan jealous one day.
Dr. Cassie Ngheim is a plastic surgery fellow with Bitar Institute.